Cadets wear the Red and Yellow
When a nipper turns 14 years old they leave the “Nippers” or Junior Activities program and become a member of the senior section of their club. Having attained the Surf Rescue Certificate they are now eligible to patrol their beach. SLSI has developed a “Rookie” program which clubs can use to pathway youngster through cadets. Many of the clubs host great activities for teenagers such as sleepovers, outdoor challenges and trips away to encourage them to stay within the movement.
Active 15 – 18 years
This age group is an exciting time in surf lifesaving as the movement throws up lots of challenges from doing the Bronze Medallion to becoming the crew person on an IRB.
Ideas for the Under 14’s (SRC), 15’s, 16’s & 17’s. See attached Rookie Booklet.
- The older age groups of Nippers have just completed 9 years of service.
- Some of them have had enough of competition.
- Some of them need a change.
- Many of them have learnt their surf survival skills.
- Most of them do a better job of water safety than older members on Patrol.