Helensburgh Stanwell Park SLSC
Helensburgh-Stanwell Park S.L.S.C. was formed on 11th February, 1908, and thus became one of the first Surf Clubs formed in the Commonwealth of Australia.
Two months after its foundation, the club gave a display at Stanwell Park before a large crowd and this was followed on 2nd May, by a display at the local beach by twelve members of the Bondi Surf Bathers and Live Saving Club.
The first club accommodation consisted of one room attached to a kiosk on the beach but, in 1909, a clubroom was built from funds and loans from members, at a cost of 40 pounds ($80).
The first boat was launched on Saturday, 17th February, 1912, four years after the formation of the club, and that in itself was a creditable achievement, being the first surf boat in the Illawarra Branch and among the foremost in the State.
It was called the “Grace Darling”, named after the heroine of that name who was responsible for the rescue of a number of persons ship wrecked off the treacherous Farne Islands, a rocky outcrop a mile or two from the shore of Northumberland on the north coast of England, on 7th September, 1838.
The craft was not a sleek speedy design like the present day boats, however it did serve the club well for many years.