Thirroul Beach became a popular beach at the turn of the last century. Alarmed at the increasing number of rescues being performed, the locals formed one of the first surf clubs outside of Sydney in 1908. The next year the first surf carnival on the south coast attracted 2000 people. Dressing sheds were erected in 1910 and the first rock pool at the southern end in 1923.
Today Thirroul can cater to large crowds. The entire beach is backed by a wide, grassed reserve offering parking, parks, playgrounds and picnic areas. A large park also surrounds the now drained lagoon behind the northern end of the beach. The surf club occupies the centre, with dressing sheds and a full size Olympic pool and wading pool next door.